Healthy Vegan Biscuit Mix Recipe
Similar results to that big name-brand mix, with much less fat and no trans fats or saturated fats.
• 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 2 tablespoons Sucanat (reduce or eliminate if desired)
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 2 teaspoons crushed nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
• 6 tablespoons canola oil (3 fl oz)
• 1-1/2 cups soymilk mixed with 2 teaspoons vinegar
• 1 tablespoon melted vegan margarine, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Drizzle in canola oil, and mix until small crumbs form.
Pour in clotted soy milk and stir just until combined, do not overmix.
Handle gently, do not overknead.
- Gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 12 biscuits using a biscuit cutter or a glass.
Brush the tops with melted margarine, if desired.
- Bake on a parchment-lined cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until browned.
(Do not let biscuits touch.)
[back to recipe index]